Everything ready for Easter celebrations? If not, our pastry chefs Lucia and Bill want to share with you a classic hot cross bun recipe to celebrate this Easter, which is pretty delicious! Ready to run to the kitchen? Three, two, one, go!
-300 ml of whole milk
-500g of strong white bread flour
-40g of butter
-75g of caster sugar
-1 sachet of instant yeast
-80g of sultanas
-50g mixed peel
-1 orange zest
-1 chopped apple
-Salt to taste
-75g of plain flour
-75g of apricot jam
1. Heat the milk and melt the butter in the saucer and let it cool.
2. Mix it together with the white flour, yeast, egg, salt and the caster sugar in a large bowl, creating a sticky dough ball. Add some more flour, until it gets elastic. Cover the bowl with a plastic sheet and let the dough raise in a warm place at least one hour (the dough should double in volume).
3. Knead the dough adding the sultanas, mixed peel, orange zest, apple and cinnamon.
4. Let it double in size again, approximately for another hour.
5. Divide the dough around 12/15 pieces. Roll each one of them in a slightly floured surface and then cover with a wet cloth and leave them again for another hour.
6. Mix the plain flour with water until it gets thick. Pipe it over the buns, making a cross shape.
7. Bake the buns for 20 minutes in the oven, which must be preheated at 220°C.
8. Warm the apricot jam with a bit of water and brush it over the buns to glaze them.
Enjoy and have a Great Good Friday!